Katy Dog Park Closed - Through May 18th
The Katy Dog Park will remain closed through May 18th, Phase One of re-opening Texas, and is subject to extension based on the status of COVID-19 in Texas. We understand the desire for the park to resume operations and want everyone to understand there were many factors considered when deciding to close the Dog Park. The following were some of our major concerns:
- the tight configuration of the Dog Park entrance;
- sanitation of hard surfaces (gates, dog washing station, benches, restrooms and obstacles course features);
- the virus can live on surfaces such as leashes, collars and pet toys;
- the closeness/lack of social distancing that could result between pet owners when
apet altercations ensue s; and
- the safety of the pets and their owners while in the dog park from those who may not know they are infected.
In addition, and most importantly are the new CDC's guidelines with regard to pet owners: Until we learn more about how this virus affects animals, treat pets as you would other human family members to protect them from a possible infection.
- Do not let pets interact with people or other animals outside the household.
- Keep cats indoors when possible to prevent them from interacting with other animals or people.
- Walk dogs on a leash, maintaining at least 6 feet (2 meters) from other people and animals.
- Avoid dog parks or public places where a large number of people and dogs gather.
At this time, we will continue to follow the CDC Guidelines for the health and safety of our residents, visitors and their pets. Please note that while the dog park will remain closed, we are working on additional ways to promote health and safety, which will help us reopen it in the future.
For future updates or to view other City parks that are open for on-leash activity, visit our Parks & Recreation Facilities page. View the Official Press Release detailing the changes for Re-Open Texas Phase One and the local impact for Katy. For more information, visit our Coronavirus page.