The Katy Municipal Court would like to express its gratitude for serving as a juror for the City of Katy. This is a very important role that each and every citizen should view as an honor and a privilege. Without your service, our system would not work.
- Be a citizen of this state and a resident of the county in which you are to serve as a juror
- Be able to read and write
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of sound mind and good moral character
- Be qualified under the constitution and laws to vote in the county in which you are to serve as a juror (you do not have to be registered to vote to be qualified to vote)
- Currently live within the limits of the City of Katy
- Not be under indictment or other legal accusation of a misdemeanor theft, felony theft, or any other felony charge
- Not have been convicted of theft or any felony
- Not have served as a juror for six days during the preceding three months in the county court or during the preceding six months in the district court
Note: If you receive a summons for jury duty in Katy and do not report on the appointed date, you may be fined not less than $100 nor more than $1000. Additionally, a person shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500 if the person (1) fails to attend court in obedience to this summons without reasonable excuse or (2) files a false claim of exemption from jury service.
You may be excused from jury service if:
- You are a member of the United States Military Forces serving on active duty and deployed to a location away from your home station and out of your county of residence
- You are a student of a public or private high school
- You are an officer or an employee of the Senate, the House of Representatives, or any department, commission, board, office, or other agency in the legislative branch of state government
- You are enrolled and attend college
- You are over 70 years of age
- You are the primary caretaker of a person who is an invalid/unable to care for themselves (this exemption does not apply to health care workers)
- You have legal custody of a child or children younger than 12 years of age and service on the jury would require leaving the child or children without adequate supervision
- You have served as a juror in the county during the 24-month period prior to the date you are required to appear for this summons
Note: You are not required to claim an exception. It is your choice.
How to Request An Exemption or Request a Reset
If you do not meet the qualifications listed above, would like to request an exemption or you are not able to make the scheduled appearance date, you must complete the certified statement on the jury summons letter and return to the court by :
Mail: Katy Municipal Court 5432 Franz Road Katy, TX 77493
Please visit the Rules of Decorum page for the Court's Dress Code.
Thank you very much for your time and dedication.